I made this recipe the other week and showed it on my Instagram Stories and lots of you asked for the recipe so here it is! This is my family recipe for a cheap and hearty one-pot corned beef stew.
Some people also call this a corned beef hash or corned beef hash stew. It’s the ultimate comfort food, especially served with some fresh bread and butter for dipping! My kids love this one too – both helping to make it and eating it so I’d fully recommend it to those of you who are busy parents.
I often make this corned beef hash recipe when money is running low as it is really affordable (89p per serving) and makes a big pot that lasts our family throughout the week.
You can also make this corned beef stew recipe in a slow cooker – just add all the ingredients except the gravy granules and stir those in at the end.
As for times, I’d try low for 4 hours or high for 2 but it depends on your slow cooker. You could try it longer but the potatoes might get a bit broken down. Its worth experimenting though.
Corned beef stew recipe
One pot corned beef stew recipe
- Large pan
- Stirring/serving spoon
- 1400 g potatoes
- 2 cans corned beef
- 1 kg frozen mixed vegetables
- 170 g gravy
- Wash and chop the potatoes into chunks or quarters. You can peel your potatoes if you like but I can never be bothered.
- Cover the potatoes with water and bring to the boil. Then simmer until parboiled.
- Add the frozen veg in with the potatoes. Add a little extra water so the potatoes/vegetables are just covered if required.
- Simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Meanwhile open and chop the corned beef into chunks. If you have kids mine love to help chop the corned beef.
- When the veg is cooked, add the gravy to the pan and stir until it's a consistency that yoy like. We like ours pretty thick. I add a little, then stir and then repeat until I'm satisfied.
- Then add the chopped corned beef to the stew and stir until fully mixed and serve up.
- Keep any leftovers for reheating another day.
If you liked this corned beef stew recipe then you might like some of my other recipes:
- One pot healthy halloumi hash
- Pan-fried halloumi with caramelised red onion and lentils
- One pot butternut squash soup with apple, leek, chick peas and lentils
- Chocolate banana smoothie recipe
My blogger friend Katy has a great recipe for slow cooker beef casserole with dumplings too.
If you have any questions drop them in the comments and if you make this and like it then do let me know!