Anyone who follows me on my Instagram Stories will know two things. 1) I hate food waste and 2) I love a good vegetarian recipe! I always hate all the waste left after carving pumpkins for Halloween. Carving pumpkin can taste a little flavourless and bland so I wanted to make a soup recipe that had enough flavour that you could use carving pumpkin guts and it is tasty. This is the one. I’ve been loving this one-pot pumpkin soup with apple, lentils and chickpeas all autumn and winter – if you have leftovers, it freezes great.
This recipe is even tastier with butternut squash but you can use any pumpkin, squash or sweet potato and it tastes great. This is the ultimate soup for autumn and winter full of seasonal flavours and a touch of sweetness and spice. The squash/pumpkin, lentils, leek, chickpeas and apple give you 3-4 portions of your 5 a day. Its a healthy but hearty soup that will warm your cockles as the temperature drops. For extra nutrition add some toasted pumpkin (or other) seeds on top! This recipe can be easily adapted to make it vegan by changing the yoghurt to a vegan/dairy-free option.
One pot pumpkin soup with apple, lentils and chickpeas
- Saucepan with lid
- Chopping board
- Stirring spoon
- 1 tsp Olive oil To reduce calories and fat you can use an olive oil spray
- 800 grams Pumpkin or butternut squash It tastes better with chopped butternut squash but still turned out great when I made this with leftover pumpkin guts from halloween.
- 1 leek or onion sliced or chopped
- 1 tin chickpeas drain and rinse
- 4 slices bread sourdough bread works really well with this recipe
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 65 grams dried red lentils don't forget to rinse
- 1.2 litre stock
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 125 grams greek or natural yogurt Go fat free if you want to reduce fat. Switch to dairy-free or vegan if required.
- 3 cloves garlic chopped or minced
- Chop the onion or slice the leek. Chop or mince the garlic. Chop the butternut squash or pull out the pumpkin guts (separate out the seeds) and chop any big bits.
- Heat oil in a pan and then soften garlic and leek/onion.
- Add the cumin and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add squash/pumpkin, lentils, chickpeas and apple and stir until covered in the spices.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and then simmer. Cover and cook for around 15-20 minutes or until the squash/pumpkin and apple are no longer hard.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender or put in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix yoghurt and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve up soup, mix in a swirl of the yoghurt mix on top and serve with toast of your choice – we used cheesy sourdough which was delicious.
- If you have used pumpkin guts, roast with salt and pepper in the oven and you can sprinkle them on top of the soup or eat as a snack later.
I hope you enjoy my one-pot pumpkin soup with apple, lentils and chickpeas. If you do, please come back and let me know in the comments.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might like some of my other nutritious vegetarian recipes:
Never Miss a Post
Click here to subscribe to our mailing list