Some mornings are just way too busy and I need to be able to just grab something for breakfast on the go. However, it’s non-negotiable for me to skip protein at breakfast. Recent research has shown that if you want to grow your muscles, then the most important time of the day for us to get protein is breakfast. This chocolate banana smoothie recipe is one I have for breakfast pretty regularly. It’s got 2 of your 5 a day from the banana and avocado and 30g of protein from the protein powder. It is delicious and tastes like a chocolate milkshake which is why I love it so much. This recipe was inspired by a Centr app recipe (read my Centr review: 30 days of Centr here) but with some changes to it so this one is a little bit different to what you’ll find in the Centr app.Jump to Recipe
Some product recommendations for this chocolate banana smoothie recipe
One of the worst things about making smoothies is when the ice cubes won’t come out of the ice cube tray. I’ve finally found an ice cube tray (affiliate link) where the ice cubes come out easily and thoroughly recommend this one!
The blender I use is Breville Blend Active Personal Blender (affiliate link) as it allows me to make the smoothie direct into the bottle so is a bit less washing up and faff. It comes with 2 bottles so I always make 2 smoothies at once and pop one in the fridge for another morning. You could also half one of these smoothies so that it makes two snacks.
The cacao I use at the moment is this organic cacao (affiliate link). I like cacao over cocoa because of the higher magnesium content but both work well and taste great. Try and get raw (that is unroasted) cacao powder if you can as it has 126% more iron, 149% more magnesium and 136% more potassium than cocoa powder.
A vanilla protein powder I like that is plant-based is Vega (affiliate link).
Chocolate banana smoothie
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 spoon
- 1 Knife
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 tsp raw cacao Cocoa powder works too if you don't have cacao
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 avocado
- 200 ml milk Plant based milks work as well as cow. I like cow milk or soya for this.
- 5 ice cubes
- 30 g vanilla protein powder Can use chocolate protein powder instead. Or plain and add some vanilla extract.
- 100 ml water Or to the preffered consistency
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Drink up!
Top tips for my chocolate banana smoothie recipe
- It can easily be made vegan by using plant milk and vegan protein powder
- You can make extra of this and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. You will just need to give it a good shake before drinking it. I make a bit extra so I’m covered for grab and go smoothies on those extra busy mornings.
- You can leave out the protein powder or the avocado if you don’t have it or you could sub those with yoghurt, oats or some peanut butter
- If you are making it specifically for children reduce or omit the protein powder as its not usually recommended for kids. (Personally I don’t mind my kids having it on occasion). One serving of the smoothie could be split into 2 for children.
If you liked my chocolate banana smoothie recipe then you might also like:
- Slow cooker vegan mung bean and spinach dahl recipe
- 14 delicious mung bean recipes you’ll love
- One pot healthy halloumi hash recipe
- Pan fried halloumi with caramelised red onion and lentils recipe plus £10 off at Hello Fresh
- Dairy free cinnamon and raisin oatmeal cookies recipe
- Top ten tips on how to get into and stay in a great exercise routine