This slow cooker (affiliate link) vegan mung bean and spinach dahl recipe is a great one to pop in the crockpot mid-morning for a hearty dinner later in the day. It’s vegan, it’s cheap and filling.
This is a nutritionally balanced recipe that contains 3 of your 5 a day. It contains roughly 15g of protein per serving so is heartier than you might expect.
This is a very mild dahl so go extra on the spices if you like a bit of heat. Check there is enough salt and spice to taste before stirring, you may need to add a little extra depending on the stock you used and your personal preferences.
You can serve it with flatbread, chapti, roti, naan, rice or cauliflower rice – whatever your preference is!
This recipe freezes well so feel free to double up on the ingredients and save some for work lunches or whatever. That’s what I always do.
It is also nice with a dollop of greek yogurt (or vegan alternative) on top.
If you want to reduce calories, you can use low-fat coconut milk instead of full fat and serve with cauliflower rice.
I used dried mung beans for this recipe. You can buy them here:
Slow cooker vegan mung bean and spinach dahl
- slow cooker
- Chopping board
- Garlic press or fine grater
- 1 cup mung beans rinsed
- 1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups baby spinach fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Rinse the mung beans and add to the slow cooker
- Cover with chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and stock
- Dice onion and add to the slow cooker
- Minced the garlic and ginger and add to the slow cooker
- Add all the dried herbs, spices and salt
- Stir until mixed well
- Cook on high for 3.5 hours or low for 7 hours. About 10 minutes before it is due to be ready, add the baby leaf spinach and stir.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and then serve with rice, coconut rice or naan bread.
I hope you like this recipe. If you make it, let me know how you get on in the comments and if you have any questions let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them all.
If you liked my slow cooker (affiliate link) vegan mung bean recipe you might also like:
My blogger friend Katy also has a nice slow cooker chicken saag curry recipe you might like.
If you have enjoyed this post or found it useful, here are some quick and easy ways that you can support Nomipalony or say thanks:
- Share this post with your friends
- Follow Nomipalony on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or YouTube
- Pop over to my Amazon Storefront to see what products I have been buying and loving from there recently, including my health and fitness products list.
- Click here to buy me a virtual cuppa
- Sign up to my mailing list
- Women can join my feminist Facebook group – the Nomipalony Freehouse
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through an affiliate link you will not be charged any more for your purchase, but I will receive a small fee for referring you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For my full disclosure policy, please see my about page.